Alternatives to outpatient insurance for travel

Here you will find the right answers

About Moneyland Forum

The moneyland.ch forum lets you exchange knowledge on numerous topics related to money and get answers to your questions at any time. Join forum users and experts in discussions relating to banking, investment, insurance, retirement, telecom and everyday money topics.

Show categories

Please login in or sign up to participate in the forum.

• BenutzernameMoneyland User Questions
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/27/17
  • Beiträge2142

Hi you all,

I suffered a medical complication and am still receiving treatment. I would like to travel to the US for 6 months and from what I have heard, it is a good idea to get extra insurance. Apparently regular Swiss health insurance (the obligatory one) does not cover all the costs of treatment outside of Switzerland in every case.

An insurance broker I spoke to said that I don't stand a chance of being accepted by an insurer because of my current health condition.

Are there any alternatives for getting medical insurance for stays in the US?

Thanks all

• BenutzernameMoneyguru von moneyland.ch
  • OrtSchweiz
  • Status Expert
  • Registriert seit8/4/15
  • Beiträge4002

Greetings,

No matter what type of insurance you get, you should inform the insurer of your condition before you sign up. Most insurers do not cover medical expenses resulting from illnesses or other conditions which exist before you take out a policy.

It is worth noting that compulsory Swiss health insurance does cover the cost of medical care outside of Switzerland in the case of medical emergencies. Basic insurance covers up to double the cost of receiving equivalent treatment in your canton of residence.

Travel insurance with medical coverage can provide an alternative to supplementary health insurance with travel coverage.

Just select the "Medical costs abroad" criteria in the moneyland.ch travel insurance comparison to limit results to policies which provide some amount of medical coverage. You can also use the sort tool to list policies based on the medical coverage they provide rather than by costs.

Best regards from Moneyguru