Am I eligible to make extra pension fund contributions in Switzerland?

Here you will find the right answers

About Moneyland Forum

The moneyland.ch forum lets you exchange knowledge on numerous topics related to money and get answers to your questions at any time. Join forum users and experts in discussions relating to banking, investment, insurance, retirement, telecom and everyday money topics.

Show categories

Please login in or sign up to participate in the forum.

• BenutzernameMoneyland User Questions
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/27/17
  • Beiträge2142

I heard that you can make extra contributions to Swiss employee-employer sponsored pension fund, on top of what is deducted from my salary and matched by my employer. Is everyone eligible to make extra contributions?

• BenutzernameMoneyguru von moneyland.ch
  • OrtSchweiz
  • Status Expert
  • Registriert seit8/4/15
  • Beiträge4002

Hi there,

Not everyone is eligible to make extra, voluntary contributions to their Swiss 2a occupational pension fund. Whether or not you are eligible depends primarily on whether your salary has increased since you first became employed in Switzerland.

Your 2a pension is based on a percentage of your salary, as are your contributions. If your salary becomes higher, the difference between your previous salary and your current salary creates a "gap". Because a gap is formed every time your salary increases, it is possible to have multiple gaps in your 2a occupational pension fund savings.

You can find out whether or not a gap exists by requesting a statement from your 2a pension fund. Your statement will clearly state how much you can contribute on a voluntary basis based on pension gaps.

Best regards from Moneyguru

More on this topic:
Vested benefits account comparison
3a retirement account comparison