Are registered letters guaranteed by the Swiss post office?

Here you will find the right answers

About Moneyland Forum

The moneyland.ch forum lets you exchange knowledge on numerous topics related to money and get answers to your questions at any time. Join forum users and experts in discussions relating to banking, investment, insurance, retirement, telecom and everyday money topics.

Show categories

Please login in or sign up to participate in the forum.

• BenutzernameMoneyland User Questions
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/27/17
  • Beiträge2142

I often have important documents (private and work related) which need to be mailed internationally. So far I have been using expensive courier services and I am wondering if the regular Swiss post office would be a secure option.

Does the Swiss post office guarantee the contents of registered letters? Can I get financial compensation if anything I send goes missing?

• BenutzernameMoneyguru von moneyland.ch
  • OrtSchweiz
  • Status Expert
  • Registriert seit8/4/15
  • Beiträge4002

Hi there,

The Swiss post office compensates you with up to 150 Swiss francs if registered, international mail goes missing in transit.

Note: Sending money, gift cards, vouchers, unused stamps, precious metals or blank endorsed checks outside of Switzerland via registered mail is not allowed. Sending these internationally in a registered letter can void compensation for all contents if the letter or contents go missing.

You can use registered mail to send money and other valuables within Switzerland, and the Swiss post office pays compensation of up to 500 Swiss francs if letters are lost in transit.

Best regards from Moneyguru

More on this topic:
Sending money internationally
Swiss bank checks explained