Are zero bonds a good investment?

Here you will find the right answers

About Moneyland Forum

The moneyland.ch forum lets you exchange knowledge on numerous topics related to money and get answers to your questions at any time. Join forum users and experts in discussions relating to banking, investment, insurance, retirement, telecom and everyday money topics.

Show categories

Please login in or sign up to participate in the forum.

• BenutzernameMoneyland User Questions
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/27/17
  • Beiträge2142

I am looking for ways to avoid paying taxes on the meager yields I earn on safe investments these days and I came across the concept of zero bonds. Would you recommend this type of bond?

• BenutzernameMoneyguru von moneyland.ch
  • OrtSchweiz
  • Status Expert
  • Registriert seit8/4/15
  • Beiträge4002

Hi there,

Zero-coupon bonds or "zero bonds" are bonds which do not pay out any yields at all. Instead, a zero bond is sold at a discount on its face value. These bonds are a more risky investment than regular interest-bearing bonds because you do not get any money until the bond matures - and terms are usually long.

In Switzerland, tax is only levied on the difference between the purchase price and the face value of zero bonds when they reach maturity. Having a large lump-sum paid out in one year can lead to your being bumped up into a higher tax bracket.

Best regards from Moneyguru

More on this topic:
Medium term note comparison
Government bonds explained
Bond yields explained
Catastrophe bonds explained