Avoiding postage when shopping online outside of Switzerland

Here you will find the right answers

About Moneyland Forum

The moneyland.ch forum lets you exchange knowledge on numerous topics related to money and get answers to your questions at any time. Join forum users and experts in discussions relating to banking, investment, insurance, retirement, telecom and everyday money topics.

Show categories

Please login in or sign up to participate in the forum.

• Benutzernamemrniceguy
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/24/17
  • Beiträge14

When I shop online at German retailers, many charge me high shipping fees to send packages to Switzerland, even though they offer free shipping within Germany. I live 20km from the German border, so I am literally paying 10 or 20 francs to have my stuff shipped the extra 20km. On top of that, some merchants only ship to customers in Germany and not in Switzerland. Has anyone found a way to avoid these headaches?

• BenutzernameMoneyguru von moneyland.ch
  • OrtSchweiz
  • Status Expert
  • Registriert seit8/4/15
  • Beiträge4002

If you regularly shop online, you might save money by having your packages shipped to a German address and then collecting them at your convenience. A number of private individuals and companies in Germany and other neighboring countries let you have your parcels delivered to a German address across the border in exchange for a fee. You can then collect the goods and, as long as they are worth less than 300 francs and do not fall into a special customs category (food, beverages, pets, vehicle repairs/parts, tobacco), you do not have to declare them at customs.