Best credit card for travel to China

Here you will find the right answers

About Moneyland Forum

The moneyland.ch forum lets you exchange knowledge on numerous topics related to money and get answers to your questions at any time. Join forum users and experts in discussions relating to banking, investment, insurance, retirement, telecom and everyday money topics.

Show categories

Please login in or sign up to participate in the forum.

• Benutzernamebeate
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/24/17
  • Beiträge5

I will be traveling to China often and I prefer to use a credit card or debit card to pay major expenses (hotels stays and big purchases). It seems that Diners Club has a partnership with UnionPay that lets you use its cards everywhere that UnionPay is accepted. Does anyone have experience with this? Which credit card have you found is most widely accepted in China? That is, aside from UnionPay which I cannot get in Switzerland.

• Benutzernamekarlweber
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/24/17
  • Beiträge42

Do you have any update on which card you ended up using and why? I would recommend Diners Club cards for China because according to Discover, the owner of the Diners Club International network, it has a partnership with Unionpay which lets you use the card at stores which accept Unionpay. I would be interested in hearing from a Diners card user whether or not this is really the case.

• Benutzernamewilliamjames0404
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/3/19
  • Beiträge2

I have heard about Diners Club only so far. Is there any issue with that?

• Benutzernamewilliamjames0404
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/3/19
  • Beiträge2

Does these kind of sites https://cardgenerator.io/ provide valid credit cards? Can we use them?

• Benutzernamethetownclownsa
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/25/17
  • Beiträge88

williamjames0404 wrote on January 3, 2019

I have heard about Diners Club only so far. Is there any issue with that?

I have had friends who visited China tell me that merchants who are used to taking Unionpay sometimes turn down the card because they are not familiar with diners club cars, but when they try them they generally work. Oddly, I have noticed Chinese travelers in Switzerland not being able to pay with Unionpay cards at merchants who accepted Diners. I find that odd.

• Benutzernamethetownclownsa
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/25/17
  • Beiträge88

williamjames0404 wrote on January 7, 2019

Does these kind of sites https://cardgenerator.io/ provide valid credit cards? Can we use them?

No real contact information. The verification tool seems to be inviting you to enter your card information for "verification" whatever that means. The site states that "We would also like to bring it to the notice of our clients that all the valid credit card numbers that are being generated by this tool are used only for the sake of testing and verification processes." Why in the world anyone would need to test and verify credit card information is beyond me. All in all, highly suspect. I may be missing something important, but my initial impression tells me to stay away.