Billed for a course I could not take

Here you will find the right answers

About Moneyland Forum

The moneyland.ch forum lets you exchange knowledge on numerous topics related to money and get answers to your questions at any time. Join forum users and experts in discussions relating to banking, investment, insurance, retirement, telecom and everyday money topics.

Show categories

Please login in or sign up to participate in the forum.

• BenutzernameMoneyland User Questions
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/27/17
  • Beiträge2142

Due to an accident, I was unable to attend a course I had signed up for in advance. Although I contacted the school to let them know I would not be attending, they still charged me for course fees. Are they allowed to do this?

• BenutzernameMoneyguru von moneyland.ch
  • OrtSchweiz
  • Status Expert
  • Registriert seit8/4/15
  • Beiträge4002

Swiss law does not forbid educational institutions from charging attendees who are unable to attend a course. Because a course may have a limited number of openings or require a great deal of preparation, some institutions still charge all or part of course fees when attendees cancel without giving sufficient notice.

The only instance in which an attendee would not be required to pay fees charged by an educational institution is when the institution does not deliver the promised services.

Some course providers take out insurance against last-minute cancellations to avoid having to bill participants who cannot attend courses due to unforeseeable events.