Can I choose my pension fund myself?

Here you will find the right answers

About Moneyland Forum

The moneyland.ch forum lets you exchange knowledge on numerous topics related to money and get answers to your questions at any time. Join forum users and experts in discussions relating to banking, investment, insurance, retirement, telecom and everyday money topics.

Show categories

Please login in or sign up to participate in the forum.

• BenutzernameMoneyland User Questions
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/27/17
  • Beiträge2142

Am I free to choose which pension fund my employer and I contribute to? Seeing that a pension fund is a long-term decision, I would like to know what kind of contract I am putting my money into.

• BenutzernameMoneyguru von moneyland.ch
  • OrtSchweiz
  • Status Expert
  • Registriert seit8/4/15
  • Beiträge4002

In Switzerland, your employer decides which pension fund to use for your compulsory pillar 2a occupational pension plan. Most employers are members of a single pension fund and subscribe all of their employees to that fund.

In some cases, several different pension plans may be available from the same pension fund. If a certain type of plan (such as a defined benefit plan) would work better for you, it is worth mentioning that to your employer. However, which plan you get is your employers decision to make.

Besides tax-preferred pillar 2a savings, you may choose to join an additional private pension fund. In Switzerland, non-compulsory pension funds generally work within the pillar 2b or pillar 3b frameworks. You have complete freedom to apply for membership in any non-obligatory pension fund which suits you.