Can I open a bank account in Switzerland if I do not live in Switzerland?

Here you will find the right answers

About Moneyland Forum

The moneyland.ch forum lets you exchange knowledge on numerous topics related to money and get answers to your questions at any time. Join forum users and experts in discussions relating to banking, investment, insurance, retirement, telecom and everyday money topics.

Show categories

Please login in or sign up to participate in the forum.

• Benutzernamemrniceguy
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/24/17
  • Beiträge14

I do not live in Switzerland but would like to open a Swiss bank account in Swiss francs to protect my wealth from inflation (my country of residence has runaway inflation rates). Obviously I will legally export my wealth and pay taxes in my country of residence, but for ease of international transactions and inflation-protection, a Swiss bank account would be ideal. I know opening an account in Switzerland is not as easy as it once way, but is it still possible for non-residents to open Swiss bank accounts. Does anyone have experience with this?

• BenutzernameMoneyguru von moneyland.ch
  • OrtSchweiz
  • Status Expert
  • Registriert seit8/4/15
  • Beiträge4002

Assuming you are not a Swiss citizen, opening an account in Switzerland is now difficult at best and impossible at worst. Your nationality, country of residence and the amount you want to deposit all play a role in determining the level of difficulty. Although Swiss law does not place any restrictions on non-resident foreigners opening bank accounts, the laws of your country of citizenship or residence may prohibit you from doing so. You can find more information in this guide to opening Swiss bank accounts.

In every case, you should pay attention to non-resident fees (most Swiss banks charge these). You can find more information in the guide to non-resident fees charged by Swiss banks.