Can I sell my mortgaged home?

Here you will find the right answers

About Moneyland Forum

The moneyland.ch forum lets you exchange knowledge on numerous topics related to money and get answers to your questions at any time. Join forum users and experts in discussions relating to banking, investment, insurance, retirement, telecom and everyday money topics.

Show categories

Please login in or sign up to participate in the forum.

• BenutzernameMoneyland User Questions
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/27/17
  • Beiträge2142

My husband and I bought a house when we first moved to Switzerland nearly a decade ago. Over time we have decided we want to return to the UK and would like to sell our house here. The issue is that our home is mortgaged. Could we pass on both the house and the remaining mortgage if we find a buyer willing to take over the mortgage?

• BenutzernameMoneyguru von moneyland.ch
  • OrtSchweiz
  • Status Expert
  • Registriert seit8/4/15
  • Beiträge4002

Hi there,

Selling a mortgaged home is possible. The prime requisite is that the buyer meets affordability and creditworthiness requirements, in which case the mortgage will be refinanced with a new mortgage in the buyer's name. In this way you sell your remaining mortgage debt along with the property.

The exact requirements and regulations vary between banks, so you will have to ask the bank which holds your mortgage about this directly.

Best regards from Moneyguru

More on this topic:
Unbiased mortgage comparison