Can Swiss banks sell your mortgage?

Here you will find the right answers

About Moneyland Forum

The moneyland.ch forum lets you exchange knowledge on numerous topics related to money and get answers to your questions at any time. Join forum users and experts in discussions relating to banking, investment, insurance, retirement, telecom and everyday money topics.

Show categories

Please login in or sign up to participate in the forum.

• BenutzernameMoneyland User Questions
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/27/17
  • Beiträge2142

I know the practice of banks selling customer's mortgages to other institutions is commonplace in some countries. What about Switzerland? Can my Swiss bank transfer the mortgage on my home to another bank or investor?

• BenutzernameMoneyguru von moneyland.ch
  • OrtSchweiz
  • Status Expert
  • Registriert seit8/4/15
  • Beiträge4002

Greetings,

The practice of lenders selling mortgages to other lenders or investors is not prohibited in Switzerland. A bank or other mortgage holder can sell or transfer the mortgage to another lender or investor. Interest and repayments then go to the new mortgage holder.

Whether or not a mortgage can be transferred to another holder is governed by the terms and conditions of your mortgage agreement. A number of Swiss banks include clauses which allow them to transfer the mortgage to another entity in mortgage agreements. If you do not want your mortgage sold to another lender, make sure to study agreements carefully before signing. Banks may adapt or exclude this clause upon request.

Best regards from Moneyguru

More on this topic:
Interactive mortgage comparison
Mortgage calculators