Changing Deutschmarks to Swiss francs

Here you will find the right answers

About Moneyland Forum

The moneyland.ch forum lets you exchange knowledge on numerous topics related to money and get answers to your questions at any time. Join forum users and experts in discussions relating to banking, investment, insurance, retirement, telecom and everyday money topics.

Show categories

Please login in or sign up to participate in the forum.

• BenutzernameMoneyland User Questions
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/27/17
  • Beiträge2142

I found a large stash of Deutschmarks in my grandad's safe after he passed away. Can I still change these to Swiss francs?

• BenutzernameMoneyguru von moneyland.ch
  • OrtSchweiz
  • Status Expert
  • Registriert seit8/4/15
  • Beiträge4002

Hi there,

You can exchange Deutschmarks (banknotes and coins) into euros at any branch of the Deutsche Bundesbank at a standard rate of 1 Euro per 1,95583 DM. This offer does not expire and there is no limit on the amount of money your can change.

The Deutsche Bundesbank has branch offices in most large German cities, including Villingen-Schwenningen and Freiburg, both of which are not far from the Swiss border. It is also possible to complete the exchange by mail, but this can take time and is not recommended for large amounts.

After you have exchange your Deutschmarks into euros, make sure to use a cheap solution to exchange those euros into Swiss francs. That is unless you plan to deposit them into a Swiss euro bank account. You can compare euro savings accounts using the moneyland.ch savings account comparison.

Best regards from Moneyguru

More on this topic:
Foreign currency: Getting the best exchange rates
Peer to peer currency exchange explained