Choosing pension fund beneficiaries in Switzerland

Here you will find the right answers

About Moneyland Forum

The moneyland.ch forum lets you exchange knowledge on numerous topics related to money and get answers to your questions at any time. Join forum users and experts in discussions relating to banking, investment, insurance, retirement, telecom and everyday money topics.

Show categories

Please login in or sign up to participate in the forum.

• BenutzernameMoneyland User Questions
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/27/17
  • Beiträge2142

Can I choose who will get my pension fund assets if I die before retiring? Can I name my girlfirend as the beneficiary?

• BenutzernameMoneyguru von moneyland.ch
  • OrtSchweiz
  • Status Expert
  • Registriert seit8/4/15
  • Beiträge4002

Hi there,

Procedures for inheritance of second pillar retirement assets is more strictly defined than that of life insurance policies and general wealth.

If you leave a spouse, orphaned children or a registered partner, they are the first in line to receive pension fund assets when you die. Preference is usually given to a spouse or child which receives social security benefits.

A non-registered partner, like your girlfriend, may be eligible to receive your pension fund assets if they can prove that you share one or more children, lived with you for 5 consecutive years up until your death, or supported you in a major way before your death.

The distribution of assets is also affected by each pension fund's specific regulations. Some pension funds may not pay out your assets to any other individual if you die before claiming your pension. A good place to start would be to ask your specific pension fund how assets would be distributed in the event of your death.

Best regards from Moneyguru

More on this topic:
3a retirement account comparison
Vested benefits account comparison