Health insurance when employed both in Germany and Switzerland

Here you will find the right answers

About Moneyland Forum

The moneyland.ch forum lets you exchange knowledge on numerous topics related to money and get answers to your questions at any time. Join forum users and experts in discussions relating to banking, investment, insurance, retirement, telecom and everyday money topics.

Show categories

Please login in or sign up to participate in the forum.

• BenutzernameMoneyland User Questions
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/27/17
  • Beiträge2142

Dear moneyland team,

I am resident both in Germany and Switzerland and am employed in both countries. I get my health insurance through my German employer. Because I now spend much of my time in Switzerland, I would like to be fully insured in Switzerland as well.

Is there a Swiss insurance company which offers cheap supplementary health insurance that just fills the gap in coverage?

• BenutzernameMoneyguru von moneyland.ch
  • OrtSchweiz
  • Status Expert
  • Registriert seit8/4/15
  • Beiträge4002

Greetings,

If you have already had your obligation to obtain compulsory Swiss health insurance waived on account of being insured in Germany (you can claim this waiver within your first 3 months of working in Switzerland), then you cannot get compulsory Swiss health insurance during the remainder of your employment in Switzerland.

However, many Swiss health insurance providers offer supplementary health insurance policies for people living outside of Switzerland. You can compare supplementary health insurance policies using the moneyland.ch outpatient insurance comparison and hospital insurance comparison.

If you find a supplementary policy which interests you, ask the insurer whether or not the policy is available to non-residents.

Another option is to get one of the optional international health insurance policies offered by a handful of Swiss insurance providers (Inlcuding CSS, KPT and Swica).

Best regards from Moneyguru