How is financial responsibility in a marriage divided in Switzerland?

Here you will find the right answers

About Moneyland Forum

The moneyland.ch forum lets you exchange knowledge on numerous topics related to money and get answers to your questions at any time. Join forum users and experts in discussions relating to banking, investment, insurance, retirement, telecom and everyday money topics.

Show categories

Please login in or sign up to participate in the forum.

• BenutzernameMoneyland User Questions
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/27/17
  • Beiträge2142

How is responsibility for financial obligations divided between two spouses in Switzerland? Is each spouse responsible for 50% of expenses or is there no clear definition of responsibility?

The reason I am asking is that my husband has developed a gambling habit and often spends the bulk of his income on his habit, leaving me to cover all the expenses. At this rate I will end up in debt along with him.

Can we create a marriage agreement specifiying who is responsible for what share of expenses and clearly separating our debts so that his problems do not become my problems?

Thanks

• BenutzernameMoneyguru von moneyland.ch
  • OrtSchweiz
  • Status Expert
  • Registriert seit8/4/15
  • Beiträge4002

Hi there,

Both spouses are required to support eachother financially, and are liable to cover each others' expenses even if they have a marital agreement which states the contrary.

You are not liable to cover each others' private debts. These are the responsibility of each individual. Only joint debts resulting from decisions which both of you agreed on together are considered your joint responsibility.

Best regards from Moneyguru

More on this topic:
Marriage in Switzerland
Divorce in Switzerland
14 Lifestyle Hacks to Get Out of Debt Fast