How many credit cards can I have?

Here you will find the right answers

About Moneyland Forum

The moneyland.ch forum lets you exchange knowledge on numerous topics related to money and get answers to your questions at any time. Join forum users and experts in discussions relating to banking, investment, insurance, retirement, telecom and everyday money topics.

Show categories

Please login in or sign up to participate in the forum.

• BenutzernameMoneyland User Questions
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/27/17
  • Beiträge2142

Is there a limit on the number of credit cards I can get? I find that the benefits which certain cards provide (travel insurance, concierge, airport lounges, etc.) are often more expensive when I get them as stand-alone products, so I like getting cards just to take advantage of those benefits at discount rates. I don't use credit much so debt is not an issue. Would I be rejected if I applied for, say, four or five credit cards? Would it damage my creditworthiness?

• BenutzernameMoneyguru von moneyland.ch
  • OrtSchweiz
  • Status Expert
  • Registriert seit8/4/15
  • Beiträge4002

Hi there,

Theoretically you can hold an infinite number of credit cards from mutliple issuers. The number of credit cards you hold has no direct impact on your creditworthiness.

However, the way in which you use the credit cards can affect your creditworthiness. For example, if you fail to make your credit card payments on time, this will be recorded in your ZEK credit history. If you do pay your credit card bills in full or rarely use your credit cards to pay, then this shouldn't be a problem.

It is worth noting that the benefits provided by Swiss credit cards normally do not make up for the annual fees. However, there are exceptions to this rule. For example, the Bonus Card Visa LibertyCard Plus provides a complimentary concierge service and fairly comprehensive travel insurance (some of which applies even when you do not use the card to pay for trips). The annual card fee is CHF 150, which is less than what you would pay to get the same travel insurance and concierge service as stand-alone products.

You can use the interactive moneyland.ch credit card comparison to compare the costs and benefits of credit cards and prepaid cards to find out if the benefits outweigh the costs.

Best regards from Moneyguru

• Benutzernameethanscott278
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit4/3/18
  • Beiträge1

You can have multiple credit cards. There is no limit as such. Just ensure that you pay your credit card bills on time.