How secure are vested benefits in the Substitute Occupational Benefit Institution

Here you will find the right answers

About Moneyland Forum

The moneyland.ch forum lets you exchange knowledge on numerous topics related to money and get answers to your questions at any time. Join forum users and experts in discussions relating to banking, investment, insurance, retirement, telecom and everyday money topics.

Show categories

Please login in or sign up to participate in the forum.

• BenutzernameMoneyland User Questions
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/27/17
  • Beiträge2142

I will be leaving my employer shortly and am considering transferring my pension savings to the Substitute Occupational Benefit Institution (Stiftung Auffangeinrichtung BVG). Since I have around 100k of pension savings, I am curious to know just how secure my money would be in that institution. Does this service provider have any form of deposit guarantee?

• BenutzernameMoneyguru von moneyland.ch
  • OrtSchweiz
  • Status Expert
  • Registriert seit8/4/15
  • Beiträge4002

Hi there,

The Substitute Occupational Benefit Institution is not a bank, so vested benefits managed by the institution are not insured by the depositor protection scheme from Esisuisse like vested benefits accounts at Swiss banks are.

Vested benefits held in the Substitute Occupational Benefit Institution, like those held in vested benefits accounts at banks or vested benefits foundations, are not covered by the LOB guarantee fund. This guarantee fund only covers occupational pension funds.

The Substitute Occupational Benefit Institution is primarily a holding place for vested benefits which have not been claimed by their owners.

Best regards from Moneyguru

More on this topic:
Vested benefits account comparison
Leaving your employer - don't forget your pension savings