Migros Bank vs. PostFinance Customer Reviews

Here you will find the right answers

About Moneyland Forum

The moneyland.ch forum lets you exchange knowledge on numerous topics related to money and get answers to your questions at any time. Join forum users and experts in discussions relating to banking, investment, insurance, retirement, telecom and everyday money topics.

Show categories

Please login in or sign up to participate in the forum.

• BenutzernameCustomer Reviews
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit2/10/17
  • Beiträge492

Have you been a customer of both Migros Bank and PostFinance? Share your experiences and opinions on how these two banks compare here.

• BenutzernameMoneyland User Questions
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/27/17
  • Beiträge2142

Hello

I have an account at PostFinance and another at Migros Bank.

Which is better to use when I go on holiday to Asia: The Maestro card from Migros Bank or the post card from PostFinance?

• BenutzernameMoneyland User Answers
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit2/22/18
  • Beiträge103

Good day

The PostFinance card (debit card) can't be used to pay at POS terminals outside Switzerland, only to withdraw money. The Maestro card can be used to pay and to withdraw money.

If you have a Private Account Plus from PostFinance (not just a regular account), PostFinance won't charge you fees to withdraw money at ATMs outside Switzerland. You may still pay third-party fees to ATM operators and markups on exchange rates.

Of course there are also PostFinance credit cards, and you can use those to pay outside Switzerland. Just don't use a Swiss credit card to withdraw money because you will pay high charges. That is true for both Migros Bank credit cards from Viseca and PostFinance credit cards.

A general point about acceptance of Maestro and PostFinance debit cards: Acceptance is different from country to country. PostFinance is accepted at ATMs that use the Visa Plus network, Maestro by ATMs on Mastercard's network. It's best to get informed about which is more common in the country before you go. If you can't find clear information, I suggest you take both the Maestro and PostFinance cards plus any credit cards with you just to make sure you aren't left in a lurch.

• BenutzernameMoneyland User Questions
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/27/17
  • Beiträge2142

I have already been to that country on holiday and at that time the Post told me that the card should work with any ATM. But in the end, it only worked with ATMs from BPI Bank.

It did not work at the PNB, Metro Bank or China Bank. Based on that experience, I presume that the Maestro from Migros Bank is probably the better option.