Mortgage affordability - income from working abroad

Here you will find the right answers

About Moneyland Forum

The moneyland.ch forum lets you exchange knowledge on numerous topics related to money and get answers to your questions at any time. Join forum users and experts in discussions relating to banking, investment, insurance, retirement, telecom and everyday money topics.

Show categories

Please login in or sign up to participate in the forum.

• Benutzernamemortgage_user
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit9/24/22
  • Beiträge1

Hello, we are thinking of relocating as a family to Switzerland. One of us will be working full-time in Switzerland and the other will retain their job outside Switzerland but working remotely from Switzerland for part of the time. Will the banks take into account the income from employment of both of us for the purpose of mortgage affordability? 

• Benutzernamekarlweber
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/24/17
  • Beiträge41

Each Swiss bank has its own rules governing which income counts towards affordability calculations. There are banks which will give you a mortgage with a foreign salary, if you live in Switzerland. I once inquired about this with Credit Suisse and at the time, they told me it was possible. But there is no blanket rule for all banks (just like some banks account for sales commissions and bonuses, but others do not).

I suggest you do a comparison for the kind of mortgage you want, and then contact the cheapest banks directly and ask.

Banks will generally require you to do your other banking with them. If you earn a foreign salary, this will be even more important, since they may want to observe your income over a certain period to make sure it is constant before granting the mortgage.