Opening a PostFinance account without a passport?

Here you will find the right answers

About Moneyland Forum

The moneyland.ch forum lets you exchange knowledge on numerous topics related to money and get answers to your questions at any time. Join forum users and experts in discussions relating to banking, investment, insurance, retirement, telecom and everyday money topics.

Show categories

Please login in or sign up to participate in the forum.

• Benutzernamegreenmelon94
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit6/2/21
  • Beiträge2

Hi!

I just got my first job in Switzerland, along with the 90 day work permit and my employment contract. I have no Swiss address yet.

I'd like to open a PostFinance account for my salary, but my passport is currently in the making, so right now I have only my Hungarian ID card. As an EU citizen, is my ID card eligible or do I need a passport anyway to open an account?

Thanks!

• Benutzernamethetownclownsa
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/25/17
  • Beiträge88

I'm pretty sure an ID would work. The more important document, in your case, is your residence permit.

You will have to have an address (the address on your residence permit?).

• Benutzernamegreenmelon94
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit6/2/21
  • Beiträge2

Thank you for your answer Thetownclownsa!

My 90 day permit has my Hungarian address on it as far I as remember (I don't have it in my hands right now) which should be fine, my relatives who reside here for a long time had their PF accounts opened with a foreign address.

• BenutzernameMoneyguru von moneyland.ch
  • OrtSchweiz
  • Status Expert
  • Registriert seit8/4/15
  • Beiträge4002

You can find more information on the topic of opening a Swiss bank account as a foreigner in this guide:
Swiss Bank Accounts For Foreigners

• Benutzernameozzymac10
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit7/14/23
  • Beiträge3

thanks for sharing the link, it helped me alot