Opening Swiss bank account with SBB identification

Here you will find the right answers

About Moneyland Forum

The moneyland.ch forum lets you exchange knowledge on numerous topics related to money and get answers to your questions at any time. Join forum users and experts in discussions relating to banking, investment, insurance, retirement, telecom and everyday money topics.

Show categories

Please login in or sign up to participate in the forum.

• BenutzernameMoneyland User Questions
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/27/17
  • Beiträge2142

Hello. I heard that I can get my identity confirmed at a Swiss SBB train station and use the proof of indentifaction to open a bank account. Is that true?

• BenutzernameMoneyguru von moneyland.ch
  • OrtSchweiz
  • Status Expert
  • Registriert seit8/4/15
  • Beiträge4002

Greetings,

Yes, you can have a copy of your passport or ID certified at an SBB station office. The SBB specifically states that the it provides identity certification which is valid both in Switzerland and abroad. Copies of documents which have been authenticated by SBB are accepted by banks and insurance companies, among others.

The cost of having your documents confirmed at SBB is 18 Swiss francs. The service is available at SBB and Western Union branch offices.

Documents which can be authenticated include your ID card, passport, residence permits (B, C, L, F, N, S or G), drivers license or other official identity document may also be accepted. Copies are authenticated by way of an official stamp from SBB which confirms that the copy matches the original.

Best regards from Moneyguru:

More on banking:
Swiss banking package comparison
Private bank account comparison
Brokerage account comparison