Sick leave instead of vacation

Here you will find the right answers

About Moneyland Forum

The moneyland.ch forum lets you exchange knowledge on numerous topics related to money and get answers to your questions at any time. Join forum users and experts in discussions relating to banking, investment, insurance, retirement, telecom and everyday money topics.

Show categories

Please login in or sign up to participate in the forum.

• BenutzernameMoneyland User Questions
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/27/17
  • Beiträge2142

During the spring school holiday I took a week of paid vacation from work to spend time with my family. As Murphy's law would have it, we all got hit with flu during that week and ended up sipping lemon tea in our beds instead of heading for Italy as planned.

Is there any way that I can claim that weak as sick leave? After all, I could have taken paid sick leave if I hadn't arranged to take my paid vacation at that time.

• BenutzernameMoneyguru von moneyland.ch
  • OrtSchweiz
  • Status Expert
  • Registriert seit8/4/15
  • Beiträge4002

Hi there,

If sickness actually prevents you from benefiting from a vacation, as in your case, you can claim paid sick leave instead of using your paid vacation entitlement. Your employer will generally expect you to provide a medical report confirming your illness.

Note that, when an injury or illness does not prevent you from benefiting from a vacation, you may not be entitled to this option - even if that injury would have prevented you from working. For example, a broken wrist may inhibit your work as a professional piano player, but it would not prevent you from taking a cruise or relaxing on a beach.

Best regards from Moneyguru

More on this topic:
Compulsory health insurance comparison
Supplementary health insurance comaprison
Hospital insurance comparison
Swiss Ski Slopes: How to Insure Your Winter Fun
Insurance: Don't Pay Twice For The Same Coverage!