Swiss accident insurance

Here you will find the right answers

About Moneyland Forum

The moneyland.ch forum lets you exchange knowledge on numerous topics related to money and get answers to your questions at any time. Join forum users and experts in discussions relating to banking, investment, insurance, retirement, telecom and everyday money topics.

Show categories

Please login in or sign up to participate in the forum.

• BenutzernameMoneyland User Questions
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/27/17
  • Beiträge2142

Every month some money gets taken off my salary from my Swiss employer to cover accident insurance premiums. What do I get out of this insurance?

• BenutzernameMoneyguru von moneyland.ch
  • OrtSchweiz
  • Status Expert
  • Registriert seit8/4/15
  • Beiträge4002

Hi there,

In Switzerland, all employees receive ocupational accident insurance from their employers. This insurance covers accidents which happen while you are working. Your employer pays the premiums for this insurance.

If you work more than 8 hours per week, your employer must take out non-occupational accident insurance on your behalf. This non-occupational insurance covers accidents which occur in your leisure time. The premiums for this insurance are deducted from your salary.

In addition to covering medical expenses resulting from accidents with no deductible or coinsurance, this accident insurance also covers loss of income resulting from accidents. If you have an accident which prevents you from working, you receive 80% of your regular salary as a benefit.

Because accident insurance is compulsory in Switzerland, unemployed persons or people who work less than 8 hours per week must get accident insurance as a rider on their health insurance policy or get a stand-alone accident insurance policy.

Accident insurance attached to a health insurance policy is subject to the policy's deductible and coinsurance payments. It does not cover loss of income. This can be covered by loss-of-income insurance. Some stand-alone accident insurance policies include loss-of-income insurance.

Best regards from Moneyguru

More on this topic:
Swiss compulsory health insurance comparison
Interim accident insurance explained
Swiss accident insurance: A guide for employers