Swiss cantonal bank accounts

Here you will find the right answers

About Moneyland Forum

The moneyland.ch forum lets you exchange knowledge on numerous topics related to money and get answers to your questions at any time. Join forum users and experts in discussions relating to banking, investment, insurance, retirement, telecom and everyday money topics.

Show categories

Please login in or sign up to participate in the forum.

• BenutzernameMoneyland User Questions
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/27/17
  • Beiträge2142

Who can open an account at a Swiss cantonal bank? Do you have to live in a canton to open an account at that canton's bank? I like the idea of unlimited deposit protection but my canton (Soluthurn) doesn't have a cantonal bank. Also I noticed the interest and online banking are very different at different cantonal banks, so the best bank may be in a far away canton. Are there restrictions to who can open accounts?

• BenutzernameMoneyguru von moneyland.ch
  • OrtSchweiz
  • Status Expert
  • Registriert seit8/4/15
  • Beiträge4002

Hi there,

Unlike some regional banks which only service people who reside in a certain municipality or canton, Swiss cantonal banks generally accept customers residing anywhere in Switzerland. If you aren't able to travel to the canton in which the bank's branches are located, you can get copies of necessary legal documents certified at any SBB station office and apply for the account by mail.

You can see how cantonal bank accounts compare with other bank accounts in the moneyland.ch private account comparison and savings account comparison.

Best regards from Moneyguru