Swiss car insurance - what role does my citizenship play?

Here you will find the right answers

About Moneyland Forum

The moneyland.ch forum lets you exchange knowledge on numerous topics related to money and get answers to your questions at any time. Join forum users and experts in discussions relating to banking, investment, insurance, retirement, telecom and everyday money topics.

Show categories

Please login in or sign up to participate in the forum.

• BenutzernameMoneyland User Questions
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/27/17
  • Beiträge2142

Hello,

I am busy choosing a Swiss liability car insurance and it seems like I always have to provide my nationality when I do a comparison or apply for policies. Why is that? Are there disadvantages for non-Swiss (higher premiums, etc.)?

Thank you

• BenutzernameMoneyguru von moneyland.ch
  • OrtSchweiz
  • Status Expert
  • Registriert seit8/4/15
  • Beiträge4002

Greetings,

Insurance companies base the premiums they charge on the level of risk posed by applicants.

In order to measure risk, insurers make use of numerous statistics and reports - including statistics based on nationalities. If statistics show that people which hold a certain citizenship tend to make more claims or be involved in more incidents than people of other nationalities, those statistics may influence the premiums charged.

This system is used within countries as well. For example, in Switzerland people who reside in regions in which a high number of health insurance claims are reported will pay higher health insurance premiums.

Other factors which can influence insurance premiums can include age, gender, habits, insurance claims history, driving history, driving experience and many more.

Best regards from Moneyguru

More on this topic:
Swiss car insurance comparison