Taxes for online shopping at stores outside of Switzerland

Here you will find the right answers

About Moneyland Forum

The moneyland.ch forum lets you exchange knowledge on numerous topics related to money and get answers to your questions at any time. Join forum users and experts in discussions relating to banking, investment, insurance, retirement, telecom and everyday money topics.

Show categories

Please login in or sign up to participate in the forum.

• Benutzernamemeike
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/24/17
  • Beiträge2

Recently I purchased some items from an online store and paid with my credit card. For some reason, when the package was delivered I was charged another 40 francs by the post. I was told it had something to do with taxes. Does anyone have any idea what I did wrong? Is this normal in Switzerland?

• BenutzernameNikolai
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/24/17
  • Beiträge21

Hi Meike, I had same experience. Not sure what to do because I pay too much to shop online.

• BenutzernameMoneyguru von moneyland.ch
  • OrtSchweiz
  • Status Expert
  • Registriert seit8/4/15
  • Beiträge4002

When shopping online it is important to note whether the store is in Switzerland (or Liechtenstein), or based in another country. Some online stores use the .ch domain although the business is located in another country. If you import goods from another country, as is the case when you shop online and have goods shipped to Switzerland, you pay VAT (8% of value), plus possible customs duties. Additionally, the courier generally charges a fee for customs processing and, if the value of goods is not clearly invoiced on the outside, you may be charged a fee for the opening and resealing of the package for customs purposes.