Taxes on Spread Betting Profits in Switzerland

Here you will find the right answers

About Moneyland Forum

The moneyland.ch forum lets you exchange knowledge on numerous topics related to money and get answers to your questions at any time. Join forum users and experts in discussions relating to banking, investment, insurance, retirement, telecom and everyday money topics.

Show categories

Please login in or sign up to participate in the forum.

• BenutzernameMoneyland User Questions
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/27/17
  • Beiträge2142

I am a spread betting enthusiast and earn a decent bit of money on my endeavours through my UK broker. Now that my first Swiss tax season is coming up (I moved here recently), I am interested in knowing if and how spread betting profits are taxed? Are they tax-free as in the UK?

• BenutzernameMoneyguru von moneyland.ch
  • OrtSchweiz
  • Status Expert
  • Registriert seit8/4/15
  • Beiträge4002

Hi there,

In Switzerland, private investors do not pay capital gains tax on gains in the value of securities. If you use contracts for difference (CFDs) or similar exchange-listed contracts for spread betting, you can claim a tax refund to recover the withholding tax automatically deducted by your broker. This holds true as long as you do not trade frequently enough to be classified as a professional investor (in which case you would be subject to capital gains tax).

If you engage in spread betting through betting agencies or other instruments which are not categorized as securities, you may be required to pay tax on profits as with other income.

Best regards from Moneyguru

More on this topic:
Swiss stock broker comparison
CFD trading - the risks explained
CFD trading - fees and charges explained