Secure online banking

Here you will find the right answers

About Moneyland Forum

The moneyland.ch forum lets you exchange knowledge on numerous topics related to money and get answers to your questions at any time. Join forum users and experts in discussions relating to banking, investment, insurance, retirement, telecom and everyday money topics.

Show categories

Please login in or sign up to participate in the forum.

• BenutzernameMoneyland User Questions
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/27/17
  • Beiträge2142

I find online banking convenient but I have a lot of worries about security. The last thing I want is for some hacker to clean out my savings accounts! Is there any way to protect my accounts and still use online banking? Any advice?

• BenutzernameMoneyguru von moneyland.ch
  • OrtSchweiz
  • Status Expert
  • Registriert seit8/4/15
  • Beiträge4002

Hi there,

Here are a few basic tips from protecting your information while banking online:

1. Install reputable antivirus software on your computer. Consider asking a computer expert which software they would recommend or buying an antivirus program at a reputable retailer. Only download antivirus software if you are sure that both the software and the source are secure. Your antivirus software should include solid protection against spyware and malware.

2. Use a secure browser for online banking. Ideally, this should be a different browser than the one you use for other tasks and cookies, media players and third-party plugins should be disabled. If your browser lets you automatically adjust security settings, set these to the most secure setting available. The Tor browser, for example, lets you choose from 3 levels of security. Using a browser which tracks and transfers data about your online activity is not recommended.

3. Avoid using email. Some Swiss banks give you the option of receiving electronic bills and statements directly to your email. You will normally be required to fill out an indeminity form becasue the bank has no control over the security of your email service provider. Receiving email from a bank makes you vulnerable to phishing schemes or identity theft. Stick to handling your online banking within the banks secure website only.

4. If you are concerned about your bank harvesting data about your online banking habits and passing this information on to third parties, make sure to read the terms and conditions of your bank's online banking service carefully to make sure that this is not the case. Many banks use special terms and conditions for online banking which differ from those used for offline banking.

Best regards from Moneyguru

More on this topic:
Guide to protecting yourself from card skimming
Online shopping: Protecting yourself from dynamic pricing