Accident insurance for self employed people in Switzerland

Here you will find the right answers

About Moneyland Forum

The moneyland.ch forum lets you exchange knowledge on numerous topics related to money and get answers to your questions at any time. Join forum users and experts in discussions relating to banking, investment, insurance, retirement, telecom and everyday money topics.

Show categories

Please login in or sign up to participate in the forum.

• BenutzernameMoneyland User Questions
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/27/17
  • Beiträge2142

Starting in summer I am going to be fully and proudly self-employed. One question I have is how this will affect my accident insurance ans specifically loss of income insurance. Right now I get accident insurance from the company I work for which pays out 80% of my salary if I can't work after an accident. How can I get insurance like this when I am self-employed?

• BenutzernameMoneyguru von moneyland.ch
  • OrtSchweiz
  • Status Expert
  • Registriert seit8/4/15
  • Beiträge4002

Hi there,

In Switzerland, accident insurance is compulsory for all residents.

Once you become self-employed, you no longer benefit from the occupational and non-occupational accident insurance which you receive through employers.

While the accident insurance rider which can be added to compulsory health insurance policies is very affordable, the coverage you receive is limited. Only medical expenses in excess of your health insurance policy's deductible are covered, and your policy's coinsurance payment also applies. Another problem is that you do not receive compensation for income lost due to accidents, which can have devastating financial consequences for a self-employed person with no claim to paid sick leave.

Private accident insurance, while expensive, is highly recommended for self-employed individuals. This insurance is offered by many Swiss insurance providers and provides similar coverage to what you receive from your employer's accident insurance (medical expenses with no deductible, loss of income insurance and more).

Best regards from Moneyguru

More on this topic:
Interim accident insurance explained