Accident with two of our own cars car insurance claim

Here you will find the right answers

About Moneyland Forum

The forum lets you exchange knowledge on numerous topics related to money and get answers to your questions at any time. Join forum users and experts in discussions relating to banking, investment, insurance, retirement, telecom and everyday money topics.

Show categories

Please login in or sign up to participate in the forum.
  • BenutzernameMoneyland User Questions
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/27/17
  • Beiträge2142

My son decided to test out his F1 skills and got as far as smashing my car into my husband's car in our driveway. Both cars are pretty messed up.

We use the same liability insurance for both cars and the insurance does not want to pay out a claim to ourselves.

What can we do?

  • BenutzernameMoneyguru von
  • OrtSchweiz
  • Status Expert
  • Registriert seit8/4/15
  • Beiträge4017

Hi there,

As a general rule, you cannot file a liability insurance claim for damages which you yourself have inflicted to your own property.

However, if you have fully-comprehensive car insurance, this will generally cover damages to your cars, even if they are caused by members of your own household. If you have fully-comprehensive insurance, direct your claim to the appropriate insurer.

Best regards from Moneyguru

More on this topic:
Swiss car insurance comparison