AHV/IV payments for odd jobs

Here you will find the right answers

About Moneyland Forum

The moneyland.ch forum lets you exchange knowledge on numerous topics related to money and get answers to your questions at any time. Join forum users and experts in discussions relating to banking, investment, insurance, retirement, telecom and everyday money topics.

Show categories

Please login in or sign up to participate in the forum.

• BenutzernameMoneyland User Questions
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/27/17
  • Beiträge2142

I do not have a proper job but I do odd jobs like gardening, carpentry and car pimping from time to time. My question is, do I need to make social security (AHV/IV) payments on the money I earn off these activities?

• BenutzernameMoneyguru von moneyland.ch
  • OrtSchweiz
  • Status Expert
  • Registriert seit8/4/15
  • Beiträge4002

In principle, yes. All income earned by adults aged 18 or older through any activity must be declared to the social security office. Income earned on jobs which are carried out in a private home is subject to social security levies regardless of your overall annual income.

Odd jobs which are classified as home-based employment include janitorial jobs, babysitting, child care, housekeeping, helping students with homework, senior care, Au pairing and any form of work carried out within a private residential property in exchange for financial compensation.

If you have a primary job and a secondary job (freelance work, for example), you do not need to pay contributions on your secondary job if it does not yield more than 2300 francs per year.

However, there are some types of employment, including cleaning services for private homes and theatrical activities, for which social security payments are charged regardless of annual income.