Airbnb as an investment in Switzerland

Here you will find the right answers

About Moneyland Forum

The moneyland.ch forum lets you exchange knowledge on numerous topics related to money and get answers to your questions at any time. Join forum users and experts in discussions relating to banking, investment, insurance, retirement, telecom and everyday money topics.

Show categories

Please login in or sign up to participate in the forum.

• BenutzernameMoneyland User Questions
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/27/17
  • Beiträge2142

I am considering buying or renting apartments in different Swiss cities to rent out to travelers using Airbnb, Wimdu, etc. I am counting on making much higher returns than I would make renting out property long term or keeping my money in savings accounts or bonds.

Is there anything I should consider before investing in short-term rentals?

• BenutzernameMoneyguru von moneyland.ch
  • OrtSchweiz
  • Status Expert
  • Registriert seit8/4/15
  • Beiträge4002

Hi there,

While home sharing services on the scale of Airbnb present an opportunity for investors, they also present a number of risks. Legislation governing these services is still in the works in many countries - including Switzerland.

Until clear legislation exists, home sharing investment will continue to bear a fair amount of risk. If you buy or rent property for subletting in a municipality which passes laws prohibiting home sharing shortly thereafter, you may end up making a loss.

If you hope to cash in on the home sharing trend, consider short-term investments and make sure to closely investigate legal regulations (both current and future laws) in the locations in question.

Best regards from Moneyguru

More on this topic:
Swiss stock broker comparison