Airport lounges with credit cards worth it?

Here you will find the right answers

About Moneyland Forum

The moneyland.ch forum lets you exchange knowledge on numerous topics related to money and get answers to your questions at any time. Join forum users and experts in discussions relating to banking, investment, insurance, retirement, telecom and everyday money topics.

Show categories

Please login in or sign up to participate in the forum.

• BenutzernameMoneyland User Questions
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/27/17
  • Beiträge2142

I am pretty much a cash guy and rarely use cards, but I do use airport lounges. I can't really handle hours of uncomfortable seats and crowds of people. So far I have paid for entrance every time, but now that I am traveling a lot I have the feeling it would work out cheaper to get a club membership or something.

So here is my question: Is it cheaper to get airport lounge club membership directly from the club, or to get a credit card which gives me membership?

• BenutzernameMoneyguru von moneyland.ch
  • OrtSchweiz
  • Status Expert
  • Registriert seit8/4/15
  • Beiträge4002

Hi there,

The moneyland.ch guide to credit card airport lounge benefits provides a good overview of the value of the airport lounge benefits offered by different Swiss credit cards.

Best regards from Moneyguru

• BenutzernameMoneyland User Questions
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/27/17
  • Beiträge2142

Hello,

We have a Bonviva platinum package with credit Suisse and therefore a priority pass.
I would add something to clarify the picture.

The priority pass does not guarantee entry to the lounge! On two separate occasions at Manchester Airport we were denied access. It appeared to us that a good proportion of people allowed entry were in fact day payers, we assume to enjoy the free alcohol available, before their flight.

Regards

• BenutzernameMoneyguru von moneyland.ch
  • OrtSchweiz
  • Status Expert
  • Registriert seit8/4/15
  • Beiträge4002

Hi there,

As you correctly stated, a Priority Pass membership does not guarantee entry to lounges. Airport lounges have varying capacities, and you may not be able to enter a lounge if its capacity has been reached. This generally applies to day payers as well.

Best regards from Moneyguru