Are Damages Caused by an Au Pair Covered by My Swiss Personal Liability Insurance?

Here you will find the right answers

About Moneyland Forum

The moneyland.ch forum lets you exchange knowledge on numerous topics related to money and get answers to your questions at any time. Join forum users and experts in discussions relating to banking, investment, insurance, retirement, telecom and everyday money topics.

Show categories

Please login in or sign up to participate in the forum.

• BenutzernameMoneyland User Questions
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/27/17
  • Beiträge2142

We are thinking of trying out having an Au Pair for a time, but I have heard a few horror stories of au pairs causing damages or injuries and the host family being held responsible. I’m not sure how this works in Switzerland, but with the high costs here I would certainly want to know that anyone staying at my house has some form of third-party liability insurance.

Can you tell me whether an au pair could get insured against third-party liability in Switzerland? Does my Swiss personal liability insurance cover au pairs, since they are part of my household, so to speak?

• BenutzernameMoneyguru von moneyland.ch
  • OrtSchweiz
  • Status Expert
  • Registriert seit8/4/15
  • Beiträge4002

Hi there,

Swiss personal liability insurance policies generally include coverage for liability claims against private domestic employees, up to the policy sum insured. If your au pair damages third-party property or injures a third party, your personal liability insurance provider should cover the resulting liability claims.

Some policies also include coverage for damages to your personal property or bodily injury to a member of your household by private domestic employees. This benefit is currently only included on policies from Zurich and is limited to CHF 2000.

Best regards from Moneyguru

More on this topic:
Swiss personal liability insurance comparison