Are Swiss travel agencies liable for damages caused by foreign tour operators?

Here you will find the right answers

About Moneyland Forum

The moneyland.ch forum lets you exchange knowledge on numerous topics related to money and get answers to your questions at any time. Join forum users and experts in discussions relating to banking, investment, insurance, retirement, telecom and everyday money topics.

Show categories

Please login in or sign up to participate in the forum.

• BenutzernameMoneyland User Questions
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/27/17
  • Beiträge2142

We booked a tour of Cappadocia through a Swiss travel agency along with flights and hotel stays. During our last day there we went on a hot air balloon excursion and my 700-franc iPhone was accidentally damaged (as in knocked out of the balloon) by the balloon operator. I couldn't communicate with the man as I don't speak Turkish, so I contacted the travel agency upon our arrival in Switzerland. They told me to ask the Turkish tour operator for compensation which is not practical. Should the Swiss travel agency accept liability in this case or do I have to try and deal with the tour operator in Turkey?

• BenutzernameMoneyguru von moneyland.ch
  • OrtSchweiz
  • Status Expert
  • Registriert seit8/4/15
  • Beiträge4002

Hi there,

When a tour is purchased along with flights or hotels as part of a travel package, the Swiss travel service provider who sold you the package is liable to compensate you for damages inflicted by third-party service providers contracted by the Swiss travel service provider.

In your case, the Swiss travel operator is liable to compensate you for the loss of your phone.

Best regards from Moneyguru.

More on this topic:
Interactive travel insurance comparison
10 Ways to Get Cheaper Flights
Flight Delays and Cancellations – What Are Your Rights in Switzerland?