Best alternative pension plan for Swiss living abroad

Here you will find the right answers

About Moneyland Forum

The moneyland.ch forum lets you exchange knowledge on numerous topics related to money and get answers to your questions at any time. Join forum users and experts in discussions relating to banking, investment, insurance, retirement, telecom and everyday money topics.

Show categories

Please login in or sign up to participate in the forum.

• BenutzernameMoneyland User Questions
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/27/17
  • Beiträge2142

I am a Swiss citizen but have never lived in Switzerland. As such I have never been part of any Swiss pension scheme. None of the countries I have lived in have had any kind of pension schemes worth speaking of and all have bad inflation.

Is there some kind of private Swiss pension fund which I can which holds my savings in Swiss francs (to escape inflation) and then will pay me out a pension in Swiss francs when I retire?

What are the best options available to Swiss citizens living outside of Switzerland?

• BenutzernameMoneyguru von moneyland.ch
  • OrtSchweiz
  • Status Expert
  • Registriert seit8/4/15
  • Beiträge4002

Hi there,

If you have never lived in Switzerland, you normally will never have been registered at a Swiss social security office. Thus, you will not be eligible to make voluntary social security contributions because this option is only available to those who have been registered at a social security office in Switzerland for at least 5 years.

As a non-resident you also are not eligible to contribute to a 3a retirement savings account, retirement fund or life insurance policy.

Life insurance policies, accounts, retirement funds and life annuities based on the 3b category of retirement savings provide an alternative to government-regulated pension schemes. Depending on the financial service provider in question, you may be able to obtain these services as a non-resident.

Best regards from Moneyguru

More on this topic:
Swiss bank fees for non-resident customers
Swiss health insurance for non-resident customers
Swiss international health insurance