Best Credit Card For Travel To Africa

Here you will find the right answers

About Moneyland Forum

The moneyland.ch forum lets you exchange knowledge on numerous topics related to money and get answers to your questions at any time. Join forum users and experts in discussions relating to banking, investment, insurance, retirement, telecom and everyday money topics.

Show categories

Please login in or sign up to participate in the forum.

• BenutzernameMoneyland User Questions
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/27/17
  • Beiträge2142

I am going on a longer trip to different countries in Africa. Which credit card should I take with me or apply for? Does anyone know what the cheapest means of payment in Africa is? Thank you for your help with this.

• Benutzernamethetownclownsa
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/25/17
  • Beiträge86

As an Africa veteran I can vouch for Visa. It's much easier to find a Visa ATM than a Mastercard one in many countries in Africa.

Don't expect to be able to use a credit card to pay, unless you stick to the handful of big hotels and shopping malls that serve tourists. Hardly interesting. In Southern Africa cards are a bit more accepted, at least in cities and big towns.

US dollars are a good backup and you can change them at decent rates almost anywhere on the African continent. Some hotels and shops will even take direct payment in US, esp. in certain countries. Also useful for bargaining. Rands are a good bet in southern african countries.