Can an Insurance Company Refuse to Give Me Car Liability Insurance?

Here you will find the right answers

About Moneyland Forum

The moneyland.ch forum lets you exchange knowledge on numerous topics related to money and get answers to your questions at any time. Join forum users and experts in discussions relating to banking, investment, insurance, retirement, telecom and everyday money topics.

Show categories

Please login in or sign up to participate in the forum.

• BenutzernameMoneyland User Questions
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/27/17
  • Beiträge2142

I am new in Switzerland and will be buying a car shortly. From what I understand, you are not allowed to drive in Switzerland if you don't have car liability insurance. My worry is that because I had a lot of car accidents in the last country I lived in, I might be denied insurance here in Switzerland. In that case, I would not be able to drive since car liability insurance is obligatory.

Can Swiss car insurance companies deny me car liability insurance? Or does it work like mandatory health insurance where the insurance companies have to insure you regardless of the risk?

• BenutzernameMoneyguru von moneyland.ch
  • OrtSchweiz
  • Status Expert
  • Registriert seit8/4/15
  • Beiträge4002

Hi there,

Liability car insurance is not obligatory for all residents of Switzerland. It is only obligatory for residents who want to drive a motor vehicle on public roads.

Because of this, insurance providers are not legally obligated to accept car insurance applications.

However, it would be unusual for an insurance provider would deny a compulsory liability car insurance application.

Consider applying to several insurance providers simultaneously. Applying for insurance after you have been rejected by one insurer can be difficult because insurance providers may share information about rejections between themselves.

Best regards from Moneyguru

More on this topic:
Swiss car insurance comparison