Can Debt Collectors Seize Loss Of Income Insurance Benefits?

Here you will find the right answers

About Moneyland Forum

The moneyland.ch forum lets you exchange knowledge on numerous topics related to money and get answers to your questions at any time. Join forum users and experts in discussions relating to banking, investment, insurance, retirement, telecom and everyday money topics.

Show categories

Please login in or sign up to participate in the forum.

• BenutzernameMoneyland User Questions
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/27/17
  • Beiträge2142

Hi Moneyguru,

Due to some old debts from a failed business venture, I am regularly harassed by debt collectors and have also had assets seized. When I was working, a portion of my salary was automatically seized to repay my debt.

I took out a loss-of-income insurance many years ago and paid the bulk of the premium up front at the time.

I have been disabled for a year now and the insurance claim has finally come through. I will begin receiving benefits soon, plus a back-payment for all the benefits due over the past year.

My question is, will the debt collectors be able to seize the insurance benefits?

I would appreciate any information you can provide.

Thank you

• BenutzernameMoneyguru von moneyland.ch
  • OrtSchweiz
  • Status Expert
  • Registriert seit8/4/15
  • Beiträge4002

Hi there,

While disability benefits and welfare benefits cannot be seized by debt collectors in Switzerland, debt collectors have the right to seize loss-of-income insurance benefits within certain boundaries.

The same debt collection rules apply to loss-of-income benefits that apply to salaries. Debt collectors can seize loss-of-income benefits, but only the portion which – in combination with your other sources of income – exceeds the minimum existence level defined by the social services of your municipality of residence.

You can find more information on which assets cannot be seized by debt collectors in this forum.

Best regards from Moneyguru

• BenutzernameCameronAlsopLR3
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/8/21
  • Beiträge1

no one can actually harass you because of debts, address to an agency of lawyers who are working against debt collector complaints

• Benutzernamesafderchachar60
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit4/9/24
  • Beiträge1

Debt collectors typically cannot seize loss of income insurance benefits. These benefits are designed to provide financial support to individuals who have lost their income due to illness, injury, or other covered reasons. In many jurisdictions, loss of income insurance benefits are considered exempt from debt collection proceedings, as they are intended to safeguard the insured's financial stability during difficult times. However, it's essential to consult with legal experts or review local laws to understand specific protections in place regarding debt collection and insurance benefits.