Can I Keep a Swiss Mortgage if I leave Switzerland?

Here you will find the right answers

About Moneyland Forum

The moneyland.ch forum lets you exchange knowledge on numerous topics related to money and get answers to your questions at any time. Join forum users and experts in discussions relating to banking, investment, insurance, retirement, telecom and everyday money topics.

Show categories

Please login in or sign up to participate in the forum.

• BenutzernameMoneyland User Questions
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/27/17
  • Beiträge2142

Dear Sirs/Madames,

I am a Swiss citizen and own a duplex in Switzerland. I would like to move to an EU country. My current lender indicated that I would have to terminate my mortgage if I move my residence outside of Switzerland.

Is there a financial institution which would give me a fixed rate mortgage under these circumstances?

The property is worth around 850,000 Swiss francs and I would need a mortgage of 400,000 francs. Both homes will be rented out when I move, and the rental income would come to 28,800 francs per year.

With kind regards.

• BenutzernameMoneyguru von moneyland.ch
  • OrtSchweiz
  • Status Expert
  • Registriert seit8/4/15
  • Beiträge4002

Hi there,

According to the results of a survey conducted by the Organization of the Swiss Abroad (OSA), mortgages of Swiss properties whose Swiss owners reside abroad are accepted by the following banks:

Aargauische Kantonalbank
Appenzeller Kantonalbank
Banque cantonale du Jura
Berner Kantonalbank
Nidwalder Kantonalbank
Obwalder Kantonalbank
Schaffhauser Kantonalbank
Thurgauer Kantonalbank
Banque cantonale du Valais
Banque cantonale vaudoise
Zürcher Kantonalbank
Valiant Bank
Migros Bank

You can find the full survey on the OSA website (aso.ch) under: Living Abroad/Swiss Banks

You can compare the current showcase mortgage rates of these banks using the comprehensive and unbiased moneyland.ch mortgage comparison.

Best regards from Moneyguru