Can I put my car insurance on hold while on vacation?

Here you will find the right answers

About Moneyland Forum

The moneyland.ch forum lets you exchange knowledge on numerous topics related to money and get answers to your questions at any time. Join forum users and experts in discussions relating to banking, investment, insurance, retirement, telecom and everyday money topics.

Show categories

Please login in or sign up to participate in the forum.

• BenutzernameMoneyland User Questions
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/27/17
  • Beiträge2142

This year I will be taking a 2 month vacation to go visit family in my home country. My car will be sitting in the garage during that time, so I would rather not pay car insurance premiums for insurance that I will not use while I am away. Is there any way to put my car insurance on hold for 2 months?

• BenutzernameMoneyguru von moneyland.ch
  • OrtSchweiz
  • Status Expert
  • Registriert seit8/4/15
  • Beiträge4002

Hi there,

You can put your insurance on hold 14 days after turning in your license plates to the traffic office. Your insurance policy will then be put on hold retrospectively starting from the point at which you deposited your license plates. Your insurance can remain on hold for up to 12 months.

Each insurance provider has its own rules and regulations about placing policies on hold, and some may charge fees. Make sure to check with your insurer regarding their exact terms and conditions.

Best regards from Moneyguru

More on this topic:
Car insurance comparison
9 Ways to Save on Car Insurance in Switzerland