Can I use a prepaid card to rent a car in the USA?

Here you will find the right answers

About Moneyland Forum

The moneyland.ch forum lets you exchange knowledge on numerous topics related to money and get answers to your questions at any time. Join forum users and experts in discussions relating to banking, investment, insurance, retirement, telecom and everyday money topics.

Show categories

Please login in or sign up to participate in the forum.

• BenutzernameMoneyland User Questions
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/27/17
  • Beiträge2142

I will be traveling to the US and want to rent a car while I am there. I do not have a full-fledged credit card – just a prepaid card. Will I be able to use it to rent a car while there?

• BenutzernameMoneyguru von moneyland.ch
  • OrtSchweiz
  • Status Expert
  • Registriert seit8/4/15
  • Beiträge4002

While you can generally use a prepaid card to pay for a rental when you return the car, the big car rental companies in the US generally do not accept prepaid cards in place of a deposit when you rent a car.

You can either apply for a genuine credit card ahead of your trip (compare Swiss credit cards here).

Some of the major rental companies and many smaller rental car providers let you pay your deposit in cash in place of charging it to a credit card. But at the big-name providers in particular, you will usually be required to provide additional information such as copies of your incoming and outgoing airline tickets when you put down a cash deposit.