Can my employer deny me paid sick leave insurance until the insurance pays benefits?

Here you will find the right answers

About Moneyland Forum

The moneyland.ch forum lets you exchange knowledge on numerous topics related to money and get answers to your questions at any time. Join forum users and experts in discussions relating to banking, investment, insurance, retirement, telecom and everyday money topics.

Show categories

Please login in or sign up to participate in the forum.

• BenutzernameMoneyland User Questions
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/27/17
  • Beiträge2142

My company has paid sick leave insurance which covers salaries during paid sick leave. I have been bedridden for 6 weeks after picking up something nasty on my last vacation, but my employer still hasn't paid me my salary. The accountant told me I will have to wait until the insurance company pays the benefits. I can't afford to wait much longer. Is my employer allowed to put off paying me until the insurance benefits come through?

• BenutzernameMoneyguru von moneyland.ch
  • OrtSchweiz
  • Status Expert
  • Registriert seit8/4/15
  • Beiträge4002

Hi there,

Paid sick leave insurance replaces your employer's obligation to pay out your salary during your sick leave. The obligation falls on the insurance provider, and not on your employer. In this case, you have to wait until the insurance company pays out benefits.

Best regards from Moneyguru