Can parents be expected to work overtime?

Here you will find the right answers

About Moneyland Forum

The moneyland.ch forum lets you exchange knowledge on numerous topics related to money and get answers to your questions at any time. Join forum users and experts in discussions relating to banking, investment, insurance, retirement, telecom and everyday money topics.

Show categories

Please login in or sign up to participate in the forum.

• BenutzernameMoneyland User Questions
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/27/17
  • Beiträge2142

As a single parent, I am the only one available to pick my young kids up from school. To get there on time, I have to leave work at 4 PM (I work 80%). The problem is that I end up working overtime at least once a week because of the high-pressure nature of my job. As a result, my boys are sometimes left unsupervised for an hour or more. Can I demand to cut work at the time I am supposed to?

• BenutzernameMoneyguru von moneyland.ch
  • OrtSchweiz
  • Status Expert
  • Registriert seit8/4/15
  • Beiträge4002

Hi there,

While your employer reserves the right to occasionally request that you work overtime, they are required to avoid requiring you to work overtime hours when these interfere with your parental obligations.

In your case, your employer should not requrie you to work overtime when this interferes with your ability to collect your children from school, except on rare occasions when it is unavoidable.

Best regards from Moneyguru