Can I cancel my car lease because of the coronavirus crisis?

Here you will find the right answers

About Moneyland Forum

The moneyland.ch forum lets you exchange knowledge on numerous topics related to money and get answers to your questions at any time. Join forum users and experts in discussions relating to banking, investment, insurance, retirement, telecom and everyday money topics.

Show categories

Please login in or sign up to participate in the forum.

• BenutzernameMoneyland User Questions
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/27/17
  • Beiträge2142

Hi,

I was due to pickup my new leased car on the 1st April but due to the current situation this has not happened and I don't know when this will happen now. Can I cancel my contract without a penalty now?

Kind regards,

• BenutzernameMoneyguru von moneyland.ch
  • OrtSchweiz
  • Status Expert
  • Registriert seit8/4/15
  • Beiträge4002

Hi there,

As a general rule, you can cancel a car leasing agreement without penalty within 14 days of signing the agreement.

To our knowledge, no Swiss leasing companies offer the option of cancelling the lease without penalties after the 14-day waiting period has expired.

Our inquiries show that some leasing companies are accommodating with regards to the situation presented by the coronavirus crisis and may make exceptions on a case by case basis. However, they are more likely to agree to put your lease on hold than to cancel it without penalties.

It is worth noting that Bank-Now personal loans can be temporarily put on hold with no penalties up to 2 times over the life of the loan. Unfortunately, this benefit does not apply to Bank-Now leases.

Best regards from Moneyguru

• BenutzernameMoneyland User Questions
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/27/17
  • Beiträge2142

Hello,

I have just received an email from the supplier asking me to sign and return the contract. On the first page in bold is written:

Prière de noter que le preneur de leasing dispose d'un droit de révocation du contrat par écrit dans les 14 jours (art. 16 LCC).

So I presume I still have time to cancel the contract? 

Do you have a termination template (French) that I could use?

Kind regards

• BenutzernameMoneyguru von moneyland.ch
  • OrtSchweiz
  • Status Expert
  • Registriert seit8/4/15
  • Beiträge4002

Yes, we sent you the requested form in English.