Claiming life insurance benefits

Here you will find the right answers

About Moneyland Forum

The moneyland.ch forum lets you exchange knowledge on numerous topics related to money and get answers to your questions at any time. Join forum users and experts in discussions relating to banking, investment, insurance, retirement, telecom and everyday money topics.

Show categories

Please login in or sign up to participate in the forum.

• BenutzernameMoneyland User Questions
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/27/17
  • Beiträge2142

Before she passed away, my cousin had mentioned several times that she had included me in her life insurance. How can I claim her life insurance now that she has died?

• BenutzernameMoneyguru von moneyland.ch
  • OrtSchweiz
  • Status Expert
  • Registriert seit8/4/15
  • Beiträge4002

Hi there,

The first step in claiming a life insurance benefit is finding out which insurance provider issued your benefactor's life insurance policy. You should contact the insurer as soon as possible because claims must be made no later than two years after the person's death.

It is very important that you are clearly listed as a beneficiary in the most recent revision of your benefactor's life insurance policy. In some cases, a clear statement in your benefactor's legal will listing you as their life insurance beneficiary may be accepted.

Note: Insurance benefits are not subject to Swiss inheritance laws. Only the accumulated cash value of a policy (in the case of whole life insurance or "mixed life insurance") is distributed in keeping with standard inheritance procedures.

Best regards from Moneyguru

More on this topic:
Life insurance comparison