Community currencies in Switzerland

Here you will find the right answers

About Moneyland Forum

The moneyland.ch forum lets you exchange knowledge on numerous topics related to money and get answers to your questions at any time. Join forum users and experts in discussions relating to banking, investment, insurance, retirement, telecom and everyday money topics.

Show categories

Please login in or sign up to participate in the forum.

• BenutzernameMoneyland User Questions
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/27/17
  • Beiträge2142

I am a big fan of cummuity currencies and use them whenever I can. I haven't been able to find anything like this since coming to Switzerland so I thought I would ask. Do any community currencies in the style of Bay Bucks, Bristol Pounds, Chistiania Wage, etc. exist in Zurich or anywhere else in Switzerland?

Looking forward to feedback on this. Thanks

• BenutzernameMoneyguru von moneyland.ch
  • OrtSchweiz
  • Status Expert
  • Registriert seit8/4/15
  • Beiträge4002

Hi there,

A number of community currencies are used in Switzerland. The most notable of these is the Steckborner Geld used in Steckborn in the Canton of Thurgau.

Recently, less localized community currencies have appeared on online portals. Examples of these are Exsilia points used by the bartering portal Exsilia.

Best regards from Moneyguru

• BenutzernameMoneyguru von moneyland.ch
  • OrtSchweiz
  • Status Expert
  • Registriert seit8/4/15
  • Beiträge4002

List of community currencies in Switzerland:

Farinet (Canton of Valais)
Steckborner Geld (used in the town of Steckborn, TG)
Bonobo (City of Bern)
NetzBon (City of Basel)
Léman (Geneva)
Eulachtaler (Winterthur)
Isenau money (Les Diablerets)
Exsilia points (Exsilia online community)

Commercial community currencies:

WIR money (WIR Bank)
REKA money

Time-based community currencies:

Stund um Stund (Bischofszell)
Zeittausche (Solothurn)

Note: This is not a complete list of all community currencies used in Switzerland. Commercial rewards such as frequent flyer miles, credit card rewards points and hotel loyalty points are not included, although they are effectively commercial community currencies.