Damages caused by drones

Here you will find the right answers

About Moneyland Forum

The moneyland.ch forum lets you exchange knowledge on numerous topics related to money and get answers to your questions at any time. Join forum users and experts in discussions relating to banking, investment, insurance, retirement, telecom and everyday money topics.

Show categories

Please login in or sign up to participate in the forum.

• BenutzernameMoneyland User Questions
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/27/17
  • Beiträge2142

It seems the Swiss are pretty crazy about drones and with all these gadgets flying around I can't help wondering who will pay damages if one of these things hits my car, crashes into my house or worse yet, hits me or one of my kids.

I imagine personal liability insurance should cover liability but I highly doubt that most dronists will voluntarily admit to being the owner of a drone which causes serious damage.

How are drones insured and who pays for damages - particularly those which no pilot fesses up to? Are there laws in place which regulate this?

• BenutzernameMoneyguru von moneyland.ch
  • OrtSchweiz
  • Status Expert
  • Registriert seit8/4/15
  • Beiträge4002

Hi there,

In Switzerland, anyone flying a drone (multicopter) which weighs 500 grams or more is requied to have personal liability insurance with a sum insured of at least 1 million Swiss francs. They must be able to carry proof of insurance with them whenever using the drone.

The pilot bears full liability for any damages caused by the drone. It is important that drone users contact their personal liability insurance providers to confirm that they are adequately covered for drone use.

Best regards from Moneyguru

More on this topic:
Personal liability insurance comparison