Difficulty using prepaid card for SWISS bookings

Here you will find the right answers

About Moneyland Forum

The moneyland.ch forum lets you exchange knowledge on numerous topics related to money and get answers to your questions at any time. Join forum users and experts in discussions relating to banking, investment, insurance, retirement, telecom and everyday money topics.

Show categories

Please login in or sign up to participate in the forum.

• BenutzernameMoneyland User Questions
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/27/17
  • Beiträge2142

I got a prepaid card in order to book online directly with SWISS. The trouble is that when I enter my card information in the credit card field, it tells me that the card number is invalid. Is there any way around this problem? Are prepaid credit cards not accepted by SWISS?

• BenutzernameMoneyguru von moneyland.ch
  • OrtSchweiz
  • Status Expert
  • Registriert seit8/4/15
  • Beiträge4002

Hi there,

A prepaid card may look like a credit card, but it is in fact a debit card because purchases are charged to the linked prepaid account rather than paid on credit which is repaid at the end of the month.

For this reason, when you pay for flights booked on the SWISS website, you should enter the prepaid card information in the debit card field instead of the credit card field. You benefit because you do not pay the credit card markup which Swiss charges when you pay by credit card.

Many online merchants do accept prepaid card information in place of credit card information at the checkout. But when your prepaid card number is rejected, try entering it in the debit card field when this is provided.

Best regards from Moneyguru

More on this topic:
Swiss credit card and prepaid card comparison