Do expats have to pay Billag?

Here you will find the right answers

About Moneyland Forum

The forum lets you exchange knowledge on numerous topics related to money and get answers to your questions at any time. Join forum users and experts in discussions relating to banking, investment, insurance, retirement, telecom and everyday money topics.

Show categories

Please login in or sign up to participate in the forum.
  • BenutzernameMoneyland User Questions
  • Status Member
  • Registriert seit1/27/17
  • Beiträge2142

Can anyone tell me if expats staying in Switzerland temporarily have to pay Billag TV licenses? What if you live in Switzerland for just a year or even less? What if you don't watch Swiss TV or listen to Swiss radio?

  • BenutzernameMoneyguru von
  • OrtSchweiz
  • Status Expert
  • Registriert seit8/4/15
  • Beiträge4017

Hi there,

All legal residents of Switzerland who have devices capable of receiving Swiss radio and television (including Internet TV accounts) are technically required to pay recurring radio and TV license fees (collected by Billag). If you can prove that you cannot consume Swiss radio and TV, you can request an exemption.

From 2019, all households in Switzerland will be required to pay radio and TV license fees regardless of whether they have devices capable of receiving these services, with very few exceptions.

Best regards from Moneyguru

More on this topic:
TV package comparison
Video streaming comparison